Website Mcmaster University
Mcmaster University currently has a vacancy for those looking to work as a Mcmaster Careers – Library Technician for Full Time at their offices in Hamilton, ON, Canada. Applicants should be sure to read the job outline attentively if they intend to apply.
|Job Title:||Mcmaster Careers – Library Technician||Company Name:||Mcmaster University||Job Location:||Hamilton, ON, Canada||Job Type:||Full Time||Job Category:||Mcmaster University||Job Link Expiry:||2023-12-30||Posted on:||Jobinton.com|
Responsible for the acquisition, original cataloguing and metadata description, and access of collection resources in various formats. Maintains the integrity of information resource databases through the creation, description, manipulation, and deletion of records. Serves as the first point of contact for other staff in resolving holdings, cataloguing, and classification questions.
- Conduct database, literature, and web searches in order to verify and update data and records
- Extract, compile, organize, interpret, review, and repo1t resource use and other information from a wide variety of sources.
- Edit and maintain web pages housing digital collections.
- Provide orientation and show procedures to others.
- Catalogue or metatag items using standard classification schemes, subject headings, and formats for bibliographic and authority data.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with vendors
- Claim purchases and renewals that have not been received or for which electronic access has been lost
- Search OCLC and other sources and import suitable catalogue records into the library system, as individual or batched records.
- Monitor library resource accounts for appropriate fund availability
- Create new call numbers for library resources, selecting and applying the appropriate classification scheme.
- Remain current and adhere to cataloguing and metadata rules, standards, and guidelines.
- Ensure subscriptions are renewed and paid for on an annual basis to avoid interruption to service
- Provide advice and training on how to find bibliographic information to library staff and patrons
- Determine appropriate classifications for library resources using a NLM Classification or local schemes
- Maintain knowledge of database systems and test library system software upgrades by verifying the parameters for indexing, sorting, and displaying information, and refers any issues to others for resolution.
- Apply standard mathematical skills such as calculations, formulas, and equations to perform routine calculations
- Write a variety of documents including, but not limited to, formal letters, email correspondence, procedure manuals, and communication via the website and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred
Qualification & Experience:
- Requires 5 years of relevant experience, including 2 years for the completion of a diploma in Library and Information Technology. Requires original cataloguing experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 2-year Community College diploma in Library and Information Technology or equivalent experience.
- Experience with batch record loads and MARCEdit preferred
Company: Mcmaster University
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Hamilton, ON, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A